I wrote a long post trying to figure out the permutations for the final games in Group F and how they related to the final standings. But as John Lewis pointed out via Twitter, my maths was completely wrong, so I removed the post.
There is still a chance that NZ and Italy could end up on even points in the table, so the following info is still relevant…
According to FIFA, in the event of two or more teams finishing on equal points, the ranking will be determined based on:
- greatest number of points in all group matches;
- goal difference in all group matches;
- greatest number of goals scored in all group matches;
- greatest number of points in matches between tied teams;
- goal difference in matches between tied teams;
- greatest number of goals scored in matches between tied teams;
- drawing of lots by the FIFA Organising Committee.
The two remaining Group F matches are to be played at exactly the same time on Friday, 25th June at 2am. I may have to get a second TV set up so that I can watch both games at the same time!
Google search suggestions for: “What happens if”